Saturday, May 30, 2009

Uneven Spots in the Economy


Over the past few months we’ve seen a few people lose their jobs and companies go out of business. We’ve seen most people and businesses suffer significant reductions in earnings and savings. But some people and organizations seem completely disconnected from what’s going on in the economy. Two organizations come to mind.
I really like Cox Communications. Not only do they have excellent local leadership and represent one of the best corporate citizens in our community, they bring wonderful technology to my house such as high speed internet and HD TV with DVR. This past week, however, when my employer was in the newspaper for cutting employee compensation, Cox announced significant price increases. While I like that they will add Fox News HD, I would have much preferred that they cut a bunch of other channels and reduce their fees. We’ll never put pressure on the obscene pay of Hollywood and media blowhards if we keep paying more to Cox who keeps paying more to the networks who pay more to the producers who keep paying more to the likes of Letterman, Winfrey and Maher.
I can’t stand paying property taxes. Taxing assets year after year is the most backwards, unprogressive, dilutive levy of all. And most of the tax revenue goes to fund education which I have chosen to bypass by sending my kids to a private school – the biggest expense in my life (except for income taxes). Just as the real estate market has gone to hell in a hand basket, Bibb County decides to increase assessment values by an average of 30%. I’ll be sending my appeal in as soon as I get their letter next week. I don’t care if they haven’t revalued in seven years and if they lower the millage rate to offset the higher values, this has to be the worst timing I’ve ever seen.

Do you see a similarity in the organizations above? Lack of competition. Or so they must think.

No comments:

Post a Comment