Thursday, March 12, 2009

Voted the #1 Wonder in Macon

I feel just a little closer to God when I’m standing next to a river. I like oceans too, but going to the beach is a lot bigger investment of time and money. And I hate sunscreen.
When I moved to Macon in 1984 I wondered why there was so little access to the Ocmulgee River. Except for a glimpse on the Interstate, you wouldn’t even know Macon had a river back then.
Sure enough, several years later, NewTown Macon built the Ocmulgee Heritage Trail. The primary leadership, fundraising and construction came from a combination of private, foundation and public sources. I’m sure there are others, but I understand that most of the credit goes to Chris Sheridan, Bill Hodges, Mike Ford, Juanita Jordan and Ben Porter. Danke!
The Trail will soon connect two spectacular destination parks - Ocmulgee National Monument and Amerson Water Works Park - with wonderful smaller parks in between – Central City, Gateway, Rotary and Jackson Springs - and two historic cemeteries - Rose Hill and Riverside.
The Trail connects a lot more than places. You meet very interesting folks along the River. And getting out on the Trail does a soul good; it’s healthy, green, social and a great economic development resource.
What part can you play? Get out on the Trail and AWWP. Tell your friends. Ask the City and County to do more to maintain and improve the Trail. Join Friends of the Trail. Attend events; sponsor them if you can. Volunteer for Friends committees. Call Ashley Griffin at 722-9909 for more information.
Who voted the Trail the #1 Wonder in Macon? That was me.

No comments:

Post a Comment