Monday, December 28, 2009

High school drinking


The double standard is alive and well at my house. I can drink beer, smoke cigars, roll through stops and participate in other adult activities, but if my teenagers do it, they’re busted.
The current issue is drinking alcohol. My teens think it’s okay. I don’t.
I have mixed feelings about 18 year olds, but my kids are under 18.
So now we have what I compare to a POW camp. Prisoners have an obligation to try to escape, and the guards have an obligation to shoot them if they try.
I tell my teens why the law is what it is - decreased inhibitions, 40% of alcohol-related fatal crashes are teens, general withdrawal and disregard for other laws, and that alcohol can be a gateway drug and/or lead to addiction.
Apparently other parents think it’s okay for their high schoolers to drink. Or they just turn a blind eye. They allow parties with alcohol at their house.
I’ve talked to school officials and the Sheriff’s Office. I was impressed by their concern, but discouraged by the outcomes. Sheriff’s deputies bust retailers; they even arrested parents last year. But few seem to care, and it’s tough to enforce fake IDs. Schools offer programs, but few participate.
I will keep talking and stay on guard. There will be no teen drinking at my house. I pray that no one gets hurt because of what happens at some other parents’ house.
I know this is an age-old problem. But now it’s my turn and any advice is welcome.

1 comment:

  1. Rick, I applaud your desire and your efforts. It is a tough battle to wage and many a parent has come out of it bruised and bloodied. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete