Saturday, February 28, 2009

Adios, Letters to the Telegraph

This blogging is going to be so much better than sending letters to the Telegraph. I get to share some thoughts without putting up with editors who claim they never got the email, change the point of the message or just blow you off.
Over the years I’ve submitted scores of letters to the Macon paper, everything from praise for community events to jabs at those who I think are screwing up the future for our children.
Well, I’m done now. No more letters. I may not even renew my annual subscription when it expires.
It’s sad to watch our only local paper die a slow death, but in many ways they brought it on themselves... one-sided reporting, a lack of curiosity about things that really matter and just plain sloppiness. I’ll miss the local stories, high school sports coverage, Gris and the obits. But I can track them online, right after I check Fox News for headlines, Real Clear Politics for perspective and Yahoo Finance.
Maybe someday a Telegraph opinion shaper will ask to comment on my blog. I might put them in on the third request and after a little editing.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more- and you get to pick the headline you want

    ReplyDelete